January 10, 2012

A late start

So, I said I would start a blog and even though I have already been here for 5 months it's still better late than never, right?


Situated right below Mexico, Guatemala is the first country in Central America and shares a common border with Belize, Honduras and El Salvador. 
I am currently working for the Peace Corps in the Food Security program- combating malnutrition which has stricken this country with the 4th highest malnutrition rate in the world. Our task is to teach nutrition classes, cooking classes, start community gardens, health-ify the chickens and spread the good words of the good ol’ U S of A-yeehaw!


Alta Verapaz (the highlands of true peace) is a beautiful place full of lush green forests and the infamous ‘chipi chipi’. That’s what the call the constant light rain that blankets our town on a daily basis. 
Watch this it you haven't see 'Motorcycle Diaries', or if you just need a refresher. 

This is where I will be carrying out my service over the next two years in the Peace Corps.  The tea cooperative that I am working for is situated in the mountains with a mix of pine trees and a bit of the jungle (banana trees, tea plants, and lots of fog). It is remarkable. They make organic black tea and it is delicious.

My first week in site was promising as I explored the nearby communities and settled into my new house. I am living with a family who has two little girls (Gordita and Colocha- a.k.a Fatty and Curly) and the whole family is full of spunk and energy. 

Here they are: Colocha on the left and Gordita, living up to her name, on the right. 

Mama Ruti with her 2 girls... ready for a Christmas parade

Yesterday (as in 2 months ago) I spent the entire day with the family walking through the forest from one house to another. We ate soup in a wooden shack with palm fronds covering the dirt floor and corn hanging from wooden beams-drying for the next planting season. Our lunch was followed by a walk to the grandfathers' house, up in the hills through tea plants and corn, chickens and cows, mud and streams. Once we were done visiting, or shall I say once they were done visiting (everyone spoke the Mayan language of Q'eqchi') we set off through the forest to return home. This is when I discovered just how rad this family really was. First, the dad was carrying his 3 year old daughter (who had just wet her pants) and the mom, who still had on her high heels from the early morning church service, was carrying her 6 month old baby. I had nothing to carry yet I couldn't gain my footing in all the mud.  It was truly incredible how normal this was for the family. the best part was when a bull came at us in the middle of a field and the dad fended him off with a Hannah Montana umbrella while holding his screaming 3 year old. 

4 comments:

  1. FINALLY!!! JK Glad to see yougot this started, starting is the hardest part, love it so far and cant wait to hear more! You rock Sash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE these stories and anecdotes and i'm so happy you started this blog!! we miss you soooooo much, fa-fa, and think of you often. you are an incredible person to be doing what you are doing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting for this! Sasha I'm so proud of you for doing what you're doing, you're amazing! I couldn't find the dark chocolate with walnuts pecans and sea salt from Trader Joes, it's not been there for like a month so you're trying dark chocolate, just not that kind... I'm not sure if you have skype or tango or any of that jazz but if you do and ever want to chat face to face call us up!!!!!!!! I love you xoxodear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your support guys! Kenny, I am so so sad to hear the TJ's stopped selling that dark chocolate. They are such a tease. Love you all! Thanks for reading. xoxo

    ReplyDelete