January 20, 2012

Medical Missions are by far the most interesting days....

Taking a step back to a few months ago when I volunteered to translate for a group of doctors who volunteer for Partners in Health, I came along some interesting diagnostics given by local doctors. One woman began to explain that she had already seen a doctor about the mass growing on her left breast. She said the doctor would operate but that she needed to first find 5 liters of blood before doing the operation. She said she was unable to encounter the body fluid neither in the pharmacy nor through acquaintances so therefore she had not received the operation. After questioning the patient once again to clarify if I was hearing her correctly, I translated to the doctor only to watch her face lose all color. She thought I had misunderstood- so we asked again, and no, that was exactly what they had told her to do. Pretty much to go buy blood on the street and bring it back to the hospital for the operation. The doctor were lost for word, seriously stunned… and we though U.S. health care was bad.
Every day I live outside of the United States I realize just how fortunate we are to have the basics covered, especially when it comes to our health. It may be ridiculously expensive, but the resources are available and that’s life changing. However, there is always room for improvements.
For example, who wouldn’t want a macgyver style stirrup at their next Gyno appointment? 

1 comment:

  1. Wow... That's all I got right now.
    Thank you Sasha for your blog entries!

    ReplyDelete