June 4, 2013

Comida Chappina



La comida chappina, the Guatemalan diet. Corn, beans and sweet drinks are the basic to any guatemalans diet. The beans and tortillas really took a toll on me at first but now I don't know how I will manage back at home without these beautiful corn tortillas sold hot on the street at all hours of the day.
Lately I have been able to see the beauty in the basics of the rural cuisine and I want to share with you a few of my favorite dishes as well as some of the amazing and exotic fruits that one can find in Guatemala.
Buen Provecho!


Tamalitos Siete capas.
Seven layer little Tamales.
I have a very thoughtful friend who constantly brings me watermelons from his farm, fresh bread that his mom bakes and local typical food fresh off the comal. He recently brought me these one evening after I had already eaten dinner. I told him I would try them the next day but they were warm and tempting so I decided to try one while it was still warm- then, I ate 2 more.
It is basically the corn tortilla with beans rolled up inside and a nice sauce called chirmol on the side. Beautiful swirls and beautifully basic. Thank you Guatemala!

It is bean season down here and everyone is harvesting their crop. Beans are quite the staple food down here and they are delicious when fresh!
speckled beans

about an hours worth of bean shucking 


lovely colors

Flor de izote

This is an edible flower that they put in soups, tamales or scrabbled up with eggs. They are a little bitter but there is just something intriguing about eating a flower. 





Queso Fresco, fresh country cheese wrapped in a banana tree leave. Makes a beautiful presentation.


Mango pico loro (Toucan Mango) 

Zapotes.
Beautiful and resembling the Persimmon, zapotes are quite the indulgence. 

Manzana rosa, (rose apples) which have a taste of rose petals to them.

1 comment: