May 19, 2012

Squealing baby pigs, scorpions, toasted ants. Just a few things I never came across back at home.
By far the worst sound ever is that of a squealing baby pig. Especially one that has just been bought and is being stuffed into a bag to be taken to its new home. Never fails to give me chills.

Scorpions. Also, a very new and scary addition to my life in Guatemala.  Even though they don't make much of a ruckus like those baby pigs, they still hold the ability to give me the willies. Everyone in Pachalum has had a run in with a scorpion that didn't seem to end well. It have been explained to me that....
"your body just goes numb and you might not be able to feel your tongue, but there is no need to go to the hospital" -phew, because I'm probably more concerned about the Guatemalan hospitals.
I was also told a story about this Grandma who got herself drunk one day and decided to go lay in a pile of corn husks. She lied in that pile for 3 days until someone finally decided she could no longer be drunk and that something more serious had happened. Turns out she was stung 8 times by scorpions and by the time someone checked on her she was in a coma. - yikes grams.

Ants. They never seemed to bother me back at home but here in Guatemala my daily activities have changed and therefore I encounter them much more frequently. The only difference is that here they are quite a bit larger and also considered a rich delicacy.-yum!
Every year right around the beginning of the rainy season (May 15th) a special type of ant comes out from its hole and the people collect them, eat them and sell them by the pound. I have yet to see them but tonight might be my lucky night. A special fly swarms the town the night before the ants are to come. Its a little indicator for the people to know that the ants are on their way. They come out around 3am and everyone is going to be waiting to begin the hunt. Apparently they are aggressive little buggers an their bite isn't something to mess around with. After you've collected enough zompoposyou roast them. Add some lime juice and vuala! buon appetito!

I was just thinking today how strange it is to be living here in Guatemala, working in development. From a first glace at the country one might see the facade that the elites have created and believe that Guatemala is in good shape. I agree that the abundance of fancy cars, shopping centers and wal-marts can be deceiving and one must think that there is money. However, it only goes to a small percentage of the population
 I am also one to blame in this as I fall into the consumer role and purchase from the big stores that sell fancy products that I miss from home (cheese and vino anyone?).
Its a strange place to live in because I don't feel like Guatemala should have fine wines imported from France while there are people who live in such poverty that they can't afford the pasaje (bus fare) to even get to the store. The divide between the rich an poor is extremely evident and considerably heart breaking. One doesn't have to go far to find it, you just have to want to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment